Monday, April 20

Just a list

A list of random things:
1. I almost died today driving Dave to work because someone came speeding around a blind corner on a sharp hill. And with pedestrians on either side the road is even more narrow. We all slammed our brakes and there was much "gomenasai" - "I'm sorry" or "I'm sorry, here's some money, don't be upset with me." Unfortunately, no money was involved, only across-the-street-bowing-while-in-the-car.

2. I discovered the "Fish Store" - so named for the Swordfish on the front, as it's Japanese name is not known to us "gaijin" - foreigners - does not accept cards - only cash. So i was forced to count out all my change... at least I had enough!

3. The chances are, if you need something on base, that location will be closed for an undisclosed reason/no reason. Hence why it's been a week and we still have no TV.

4 It will be very hard to go back to the states after being here for only 8 months! When we were setting up our internet: a) the English speaker called me at 8pm on a Thursday and b) was generally sorry to have to charge a cancellation fee if necessary. Genuinely sorry! For a $36 fee! In the states it would be $75-$100 and they would openly hope you'd be charged it...

5. I have learned the Zama Zag well enough to veer off it's narrow path, in an attempt to find alternate routes.

6. The girl who works at the front desk of the Navy Lodge was so excited to see me today. It made me feel very special. She asked for my phone number - awe :)

7. I really miss Sliderboo-san. He would have scared everyone here, but he always means well...

8. I CANNOT WAIT TO HAVE MY OWN COUCH AGAIN! This stick furniture sucks hardcore.

9. NPR Podcasts have saved my sanity. I have subscribed to Talk of the Nation, The Diane Rehms Show, Car Talk, and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. And the 5minute news of the day (the one that's played at the top of every hour). The only bummer is that Morning Edition and All Things Considered don't have podcasts - boo. But I realized last night that I can listen to Morning Edition while I cook dinner! Which is kind of like listening to All Things Considered while cooking, like i did in VA.

le sigh. How i love NPR. (Dave will laugh at me for this...)

3 comments:

jenny/mom/nonny said...

I am glad you were safe. I heart your life. What an adventure you are having! Oops, now I covet your life! I'm so glad you got to go to Japan!

What is gomenasai?

Annie said...

gomenasai is "i'm sorry" it is also "i'm sorry, here's some money, don't be upset with me" (which is a legitimate practice in Japan) Unfortunately no money was involved for us, only across-the-street-in-the-car bowing

Julie in Alaska said...

Teaching English as a second language sounds great. I have always heard of people going to Japan to do this....think of all the odd aspects of colloquial English and strange parts of grammar you could share!

It all sounds expensive...hope you can get to the point of saving some of everything you make.

Great observations! I enjoy them immensely!