Thursday, April 9

Dental Woes

Part of the Overseas Screening process for me to come to Japan was a dental review. In this review, the dentist said I have two small cavities, but i could get them filled here before I leave, or there, when I arrive. Me, wanting to join Dave in Japan as soon as possible, opted for getting them filled here in Japan.

And then this week happened.

1) One of Dave's squadron-mates went in for a filling last week. This week, his upper right molar tooth that was filled had been hurting him. So he went back in to have it looked at. The technicians thought he'd had his *lower left* molar worked on, according to their records. So he wasn't about to let them touch his mouth since they couldn't even agree on which tooth had been filled.

2) A similar situation to the above: a different one of Dave's squadron-mates had work done last week. He was in so much pain post filling/rootcanal/whatever that he was med-down and unable to fly all of this week. Then last night, I got an email saying he'd been rushed to Yokuska Naval Hospital to have emergency surgery preformed - a direct result from his dental work last week.

So by now you all probably realize my hesitation in going to have my teeth filled. They aren't hurting me at all, it would have been more of a preventative action, take care of them before they get bad. However, now I am worried! I have heard other Navy dental horror stories - Sarah's boyfriend was a prime example: routine wisdom teeth removal gone sorely wrong to the point he'd lost some feeling in his tongue.

Today's poll should be no surprise. Should I:
A) Take the chance and get them filled here,
B) Wait 7 months and get it filled as soon as I return to the states,
C) Wait and see if they get worse, and then get them filled here

3 comments:

jenny said...

WAIT!!!!

Julie in AK said...

Tough choice! For the future, you can always opt for having work done state-side should you have that option. Not filling cavaties is a problem, too, leading to dental decay and tooth loss! That really does happen, and has happened to me (it involved a root canal, and a crown, as a result...very expensive and no fun!) But I can't offer any real advice....the sense of foreboding seems very sensible! Do you anticipate being able to travel elsewhere during this period? Where you might get better care? Or is that not possible given insurance, etc. Tough one! Final question: can all the botched work be traced to a particular dentist that you could avoid????

Diane said...

That's an easy one -wait til you get back! Why do you think we had ALL that dental work done when we came back for your wedding! I have ALWAYS had military dentists comment on what great shape my teeth were in -often due to advaced practices -like "we still use metal fillings -what are those white things?" "Sealants -Haven't you heard of them?" "We have a guy from California who does those." -And that was the Air Force! Get some of that restoration mouth rinse and floss alot -use it as an excuse to develop a new good habit!:)