Wednesday, March 11

Off-Base Excursion

So, there were some big developments today: 1) First trip off base 2) Desire to live off base 3) Sweet-talk housing into letting us get out of our apt.

This morning I was up with Dave at 7am. After making some instant coffee and oatmeal - from the microwave - for us both, Dave scampered off to the squardon. I showered up and biked over to Medical and got my JEV part 2 shot. It was interesting because The bedical staff hadn't even gotten the JEV shots when they came over... But whatever, I'm getting it and finishing it. I have to go back in 3 weeks for part 3... felt a little dizzy and tired today, but nothing that slowed me down too much. I also made a dental appointment for cleaning...

At 11am, Kristen, our sponsor spouse, came and picked me up for my first off base adventure. First we went to two used car lots. Cars here are soooooo cheap!!! Everything was saw was under $4,000, most were about $2,000. I also saw a Toyota dealership, except Toyota is Toyope over here. Dave and I are hoping to find something for under $900. The two used car lots are within walking distance from the front gate. Kristen also pointed out where the Vehicle Registration Office (VRO) is; cars have to pass Japanese inspection and on base inspection, plus on and off base taxes..

Then we drove past the two train stations near us. There is even a parking lot near one for military only. (Parking in Japan is extremely difficult to find, which is why most people take public transportation - that and the traffic gets really bad.) She also pointed two Japanese grocery stores and 100Yen stores.

Then she took me to see her apartment, and then I fell in love.

Her apartment is wonderous! It is sooo spacious! And Kristen had it just perfectly decorated... one of those "Oh, my child left toys everywhere, sorry it's a mess..." And I see no mess, only perfectly coordinated everything!! She has the same style sofa as we just bought (gotta love Ikea), except as an "L" sectional. The apartment is more like a condo or a townhouse, three units together with a shared driveway. It is two levels, the first having an entry way (where you must leave you shoes and put on your house shoes), living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom and two closets. The second floor has 3 bedrooms, washer-dryer-bathroom combo, and large closets in the master bedroom. The floors are all wood, along with the trim, closets, and doors. Additionally, there is a small balcony off the master bedroom, perfect for a morning cup of Trader Joe's coffee.

There were a couple of features that make this Japanese home super unique: the washette and the shower room. The washette: There is a faucet is directly over the back of the toilet, with a hole in the top of the toilet tower. When you flush the toilet, it automatically turns on the faucet so you can wash your hands (cold water only), and I believe the water is recycled into the bowl/tower. This is in addition to a sink in the room! Also, most toilet seats can be heated! Women understand the value of this feature. The shower room: It's like a small sauna. The toilet adn washer-dryer (with sink and washette) are through the main door to the bathroom. There is another door that within the room that leads to the shower room; it's as if there were 4 feet of open space before the tub (which is slight sunken into the floor space), but it's not just open space - it's the shower! Kristen said it's like a spa in the winter because it's so relaxing. How cool is that!? Don't you want to live here now!

The creme-de-la-creme: The unit next door is available in the middle of April.


I went to the housing office this afternoon (since Dave has already signed for the 3114 apartment) to see what we can do. The man said it shouldn't be a problem at all to get out of the apartment, but just to know we'd be moved the end of the housing list - which is currently two people long. Kristen's coming by tomorrow and we're gonna look at what's available for off base rental.

The only down side to renting off base is that it requires a lot of money upfront. 2 months rent upfront, plus a landlord fee. Two months rent can be $4,000..plus another $1,000. See why this is a downside? Upside: Navy will front it all, and you get most of it back (like $4k).


So what do you think? Want to move in yet? I'm totally sold. About half the wives from the squadron live off base, and do things together all the time. I think it's very easy to a) go crazy and b) be lulled into complacency by living on base.

When Dave gets home we shall discuss.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm sold! When can I come visit!? :)