Monday, March 9

Day One

My flight to Japan was very uneventful, aside from the fact i realized at 545am that i'd forgotten my military ID, at which point I called Katie crying because i can't get through immigration in tokyo without it... But she's a hero and got it to me in 25 minutes, which is an insane feat considering she drove 30 miles and had to wake and strap in a 3 year old.

But after that, there were no delays, no annoying people I got stuck sitting next to, no mechanical failures, no lost baggage, nothing! Smoothing sailing- or flying.

Dave met me at the airport and guided me to the train at 5pm. We took a fast train for about 90 minutes, and then a local train for about 30, and then a cab ride fro about 5 min - and then ended up at the front gate, walked about 10 minutes to the BOQ, whereupon I was snuck in. (The BOQ - Bachelor Office Quarters - is meant for singles, not for married couples or children etc, so I'm not supposed to be there.) Dave kept me up until about 9 and fed me pizza and water and made me shower (I just wanted to sleep).

I didn't get to see much of Tokyo - which we cruised passed in the train - because it was dark by the time we got through it. But this weekend I will see it when we go there for Dave's Dining-Out. (Dining Out is when all the officers from the squadron - usually about 20-30 persons - and their wives/fiance/girlfriends all have a big night out.)On Wednesday, our sponsor's wife, Kristen, is going to take me around town: show me where to buy a car, where to shop for fresh produce and meat, how to get to the train station, etc.

I'll bring my spiffy camera along for your visual stimulation

4 comments:

Amy said...

I am so glad you made it safely, I can't wait to see all the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! You are in Japan- how cool is that. hope you have great fun.Love you!

Anonymous said...

I think Katie is amazing...and I can't imagine the anxiety you felt when you discovered you didn't have the ID! OMG!

Anonymous said...

True about Katie. She rocks!