We finally got our HPC (home port change) letter, and now things appear to be moving smoothly forward. The letter came out on Monday, and on tuesday I scheduled the movers to arrive on monday, dec 7. I've faxed in information to begin my Honda's voyage from storage in South Carolina to Richmond CA. I'll be reactivating my state-side cellphone next week. All this and Dave and I attended the squadron Christmas party on Tuesday night! busy busy times...It will be hard to leave the life we've made in Japan, the friends, the experiences, the Japanese in general. But I've been waiting for months to move forward, and now I am! Lots to do.
I will probably fly to Lemoore on the 13th or 14th of December, quickly sign a lease on a house, camp out at Cam and Lauren's. Dave will arrive on the 18th or 19th. Then we have Christmas leave! On the 22nd we are flying to DC, where we will spend Christmas! On the 26th, we plan to purchase a new-to-us car: 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I want the dealer to put a big bow on top, as it's our christmas gift to each other. On the 27th we'll hit the road, with all the animals in tow, and stop for the night in Nashville, visiting Dave's sister Sarah. Then on the 28th we will arrive in Olive Branch until Jan. 1st or 2nd. Then we'll pack up our family and head west: Lemoore or Bust! We plan on stopping by the Grand Canyon! If you have any places you think we should visit on our road trip, please let me know!
This of course is the PLAN. We'll see what actually happens.
2 comments:
We're excited to see you two! :)
Hey, Ann, Grand Canyon can be spectacular in Jan. but very cold, so be prepared. You can only stay or visit at the South Rim, as North is closed in winter....you will probably drive through Hopi reservation and be sure to stop at the Hubbell Trading Post along the way for a truly authentic trading post experience, including an old adobe hacienda and an incredible room full of authentic navajo woven blankets. It's the real thing! Historic. Grand Canyon has a kennel, not sure if it is open during the winter time. There really isn't anything "nearby," either...I think. But oh the buildings there designed by Mary Colter over several decades are incredible and maybe if you are lucky you can stay a night at the old historic El Tovar hotel. You could also consider a train from Williams AZ that takes you right to the South Rim, too...not sure what you can do with dog/cat, though. Just be prepared for cold...and no crowds! We can email if you want more info....Cheers, and happy trails....
Post a Comment